I get asked almost every day what my favourite dinner spots are, where to have breakfast in Auckland CBD, where I go food shopping and of course, what are the best desserts in Auckland. So, I have decided to start my own Auckland Food Guide.
Below is my ultimate guide to all things food related, featuring my favourite eateries in Auckland and eateries I want to try, along with coffee spots, desserts, food trucks, favourite cocktail bars, food related activities, markets and shopping.
I will keep the list up to date to include new openings, and will link each place to either my Instagram, my blog posts or my favourite Auckland food blogger’s blog posts or Instagram posts.
BREAKFAST AND BRUNCH
- Winona Forever – I love their Insta-famous Eton Mess French Toast, buckwheat hotcakes and anything from their amazing food cabinet! Check out my post here.
- Major Sprout – a must try is their EPIC buttermilk pancakes with mascarpone, butterscotch, marshmallows, candy floss, freeze dried fruit AND unlimited Noble maple syrup! Need I say more?! Check out my post here.
- The Garden Shed – recently tried this place for #NZBloggers brunch club and loved it! Try their breakfast board or their famous burger!
- Catroux – I have only ever head great things about this cafe! Check out this post by Thea (of Simply Theora)
- Raw Power – head here for a vegetarian breakfast – my favourite is their EPIC French Toast! Check out my post here.
- Odette’s Eatery – beautiful food, setting and service. Check out this post by The Hadlow Girls (of What’s Yummy)
- Bestie – another brunch place to indulge in your sweet tooth, namely their hotcakes with toffee apple ice cream. Check out this post by Tiffany (of Heartshrooms).
- The Smoothie Bowl – popping up on my Instagram feed a lot, this smoothie bowl place looks amazing! Definitely heading here next time I’m on the shore.
- L’oeuf – probably the most Instagrammed dish on Auckland’s foodie Instagram, the ‘Nest‘ with sunflower seed crumbed soft-boiled eggs, in a filo nest with beetroot ketchup, feta and a rocket salad. Another eatery I am yet to try!
- Goodness Gracious – a bagelry and coffee joint which has just opened up in Parnell! So far, I have only tried The Brekkie Bagel, but next on my list is the Pulled Pork and the Haloumi number. Blog post coming soon!
- Bowl & Arrow – another delicious smoothie bowl place. Currently located at Orakei Bay Village, but they are opening another store in Parnell soon (hopefully September!)
COFFEE / HOT CHOCOLATES
- Le Chef – $3 large flat whites, all day, every day
- Cova Cafe – Gravity beans / consistently good coffee, the fluff is perfect and it is always extra hot
- Bones – Coffee Supreme beans, plus check out the skull feature wall
- Miann – the first of its kind in New Zealand, with a special Valrhona Hot Chocolate menu, consisting of 8 different flavours.
- Vulcan Lane Bagels – eighthirty beans, always perfect!
- Major Sprout – serving Flight Coffee, which is creamy and delicious.
- Best Ugly Bagels – their main jam is bagels, but their Havana coffee is amazing
- Rosie – love their Valrhona hot chocolates! Check out my post here.
- Marua Road Cafe – very good coffee (Jack’s) and the cutest latte art I have ever seen.
- Cornwall Park Cafe – deconstructed mochas, complete with separate coffee, milk, chocolate, marshmallows, chocolate fish and flakes. Sounds like heaven! Check out this post by Tiffany (of Heartshrooms)
SWEETS / DESSERTS
- Giapo – the BEST ice cream in New Zealand, thanks to Giapo Grazioli. My all time favourite flavours are Giapo Buono, Siamu Popo and Hokey Pokey. Click the links below to see Giapo’s different flavours:
- Miann – my go-to dessert bar! My favourites include their ever changeable gateaux, plated desserts, handmade bonbons, Valrhona hot chocolates and ice cream (love the s’mores). Check out my post here.
- The Pie Piper & Doornuts – American style pies and donuts, delivered straight to your door! I LOVE their maple bacon donut – tastes just like pancakes. Mmmmm. Check out my post here.
- Milse – Auckland’s first dessert bar, selling gateaux, macarons, plated desserts and my favourite ice cream on a stick – Bombe Alaska, with the sorbet flavour inside changes according to season – yummy! Check out my post here.
- Winona Forever – sweet sweet food cabinet heaven! Doughnuts. Lamingtons. Cheesecake Slice. Crossiants. Rocky Road. Brownie. Meringues. Check out my post here.
- The Caker – looking for a celebration cake? The Caker is your answer. Beautiful handmade cakes, usually adorned with flowers. Also love their cake mixes! Check out my post here.
- Vaniye – a French patisserie located in Parnell serving beautiful gateaux and crunchy baguettes. Check out this post by Amy (of My Dining Journey)
- The Dairy – Kapiti ice cream sandwiches and sodas topped with fairy floss!
- Moustache – who could say no to cookies and milkshakes? My favourite cookies in Auckland!
- Little & Friday – head here for doughnuts, filled with creme patisserie and raspberry coulis – the best in Auckland!!!
- Cibo – try their Fry-pan brownie pan dessert, with raspberries, raspberry marshmallows and butterscotch raspberry ripple ice cream, which recently won an award in the 2017 Metro Restaurant Awards.
- Gerome – a must try is their Loukoumades aka Greek doughnuts, served with a perfect coffee ice cream, nutella sauce and hazelnuts. Check out my post here.
- Petal Cupcakes – they taste just like the real thing! With flavours like mango, salted caramel, red velvet and espresso, they are guaranteed to satisfy your sweet cravings!
- &Sushi – my favourite lunch place in Auckland. My favourite dishes include their Sashimi Don, Yakisoba Noodles and Kimchi Pork Donburi. Their sushi is beautiful too! Check out my post here.
- Lucky Buddha – an all time favourite, serving Japanese, Korean, Thai and Filipino food. Check out my post here.
- Raw Power – head here for awesome vegetarian food, in particular the salads, corn fritters, tofu sandwich, falafel and pumpkin curry soup.
- Bird on A Wire – fresh and delicious salads, served with homemade rotisserie chicken – delish!
- The Vodka Room– a 2017 newcomer, serving Russian inspired cuisine. I love their “$20 Rush in Lunchboard” which is Russian antipasti with a twist. Check out my video of it here.
- Scarecrow – I love their $10 soup and salad specials, plus their iced drinks made with Little Island ice cream.
- Bannsang or Faro – for a cheap Korean lunch (bibimbap!!!) in Auckland CBD
- Revive Vegetarian Cafe – delicious salads, soups, meals and breakfast dishes that change weekly! Check out my post here.
- Kushi – a great Japanese restaurant in Auckland’s CBD. Nice ambience, good service, variety of dishes, good lunch special, plus on Friday nights, they do a short drum performance, which is very cool! Check out this, this and this.
- Mamak – my favourite Malaysian joint in Auckland. Love their beef rendang, curry chicken and char kway teow. Check out this post by Sophia Joy (of Joy & Serenity)
- Little Bird Unbakery – two locations across Auckland, dine in at Ponsonby or get takeaway from Britomart. Delicious raw food, including breakfast and lunch dishes, smoothies, desserts and more.
- Poderi Crisci – located in Waiheke, Poderi Crisci serves the dreamiest lunch spreads. Check it out here.
- The Nightingale – burgers, beers and music. What more could you want? Check out my post here.
COOL CHEAP EATS
- Hello Mister – my new favourite Vietnamese in Auckland! Amazing rice paper rolls, noodle salads (so far, I have tried the lemongrass chicken and crispy pork), banh mi, beef pho and watermelon juice!
- Chinoiserie – delicious Taiwanese street food. I recommend their Pork Belly Bao, Tofu Bao, Spicy Popcorn Chicken and any of their cocktails!
- Best Ugly Bagels – the best, but definitely not ugly. My all time favourite is the tomato, mozzarella and basil.
- Xuxu Dumpling & Bar – Cocktails, Dumplings and Dessert. Three of my favourite things. And three things that you will find at Xuxu, making it one of my favourite eateries in the city. Check out my post here.
- Tiger Burger – awesome eatery, with top notch burgers and the best kimchi fries (omg!). In love. Check out my post here.
- Ceremony – cool guys + cool burgers.
- Vulcan Lane Bagels – you can’t go wrong with their Pastrami Melt Bagel, so delicious!
- Dantes Pizzeria – my go to place for a mouthwatering margherita pizza!
- Velvet Burger – Kiwi burger brand, love their vegetarian burger and hashies. Check out my post here.
- Mexico – hands down the best fried chicken, perfectly spiced and crunchy! Also love their quesadillas, guacamole and shots of the 1800 coconut tequila.
- Indochine Kitchen Express – cute takeaway spot serving delicious summer rolls, beef pho, papaya salad, beef stew and banh mi.
- Flavour – for when you want a quick, cheap and yummy lunch. I love their ‘Flavour of the day’ for $5, my favourite day being Wednesday, because that means falafel!
- Aroy Thai – super filing and tasty food, with most dishes priced under $15. I love their Pad Thai.
- The Kimchi Project – a modern take on Korean cuisine which I’m loving! Especially their sodas, kimchi waffle fries and bao. Check out this post by Anna (of Anna’s Brunch Club)
- The Vodka Room – love their espresso martinis!
- Xuxu Dumpling & Bar – amazing cocktails, but my favourite is their passionfruit mocktail (it’s not on the menu, but just ask).
- Soul Bar & Bistro – all of their cocktails are perfect, but of course, their espresso martini is my favourite!
- Pilkingtons – again, love their espresso martinis
- Frida’s Margaritas – 12 different margarita flavours – so far, I have only tried the Lychee and Salt, which was top notch!
- Bellini Bar, Hilton – toberlone cocktails and espresso martinis are my favourites here.
- Bedford Soda & Liquor – Instagram worthy cocktails! I once went to a cocktail masterclass at Bedford Soda and it was awesome – check out my post here.
- White & Wongs – I haven’t tried it yet, but my friend swears by their “Dragon Drop” cocktail with gin, vodka and elderflower liqueur.
- White & Wongs – my current favourite restaurant, which has absolutely amazing food! The first time, we indulged in their dumplings, edamame (with a killer sauce), pork belly bao, Korean spicy chicken bao and nashi pear iced teas 🌸 I will definitely be back!
- Depot – owned and run by Al Brown, Depot is one of my favourites. I love their oysters, kingfish and potato skins! Check out my post here.
- Federal Delicatessen – New York Jewish deli style food. My favourite dish? Their Montreal poutine with fries, cheese curd and gravy. Check out my post here.
- Tok Tok – I first tried dishes at Tok Tok at last year’s Taste of Auckland. I haven’t been to their restaurant in Takapuna yet, but it’s high on my list. Check out this post about Tok Tok by Angela (of A Style Collector). Angela recommends the Steamed Buns, Crispy Hapuka Dry Red Curry and Wagyu Beef Brisket. All sound delicious!
- Queens Cafe Bistro – the perfect hideaway in Auckland’s CBD, with a lovely restaurant setting, beautiful food and attentive service. Check out my post here.
- Meat Fish Wine – Beautiful food, ambience and service, plus over 500 wines to choose from! Check out my post here.
- Po Brothers – Asian fusion cuisine, with dishes like pork belly, prawn sashimi, chicken karaage and deep fried dessert bao. Check out this post here by Tiffany (of Heartshrooms)
- Beirut – traditional Lebanese food, my favourite dishes being the Smoked Yoghurt Labna with scorched flatbread and the Merguez (spicy sausage). Check out my post here.
- Burger Burger – never fails to amaze me! Order a few burgers, a side of broccoli and potato skins. And a peanut butter thickshake. And, if you are dining at their Newmarket or Takapuna branches, then you will want to save room for dessert – ice cream sandwiches!!! Check out my post here.
- Masu by Nic Watt – Japanese fine dining. Check out this post here by Sophia Joy (of Joy & Serenity).
- Soul Bar & Bistro – fantastic food, service, atmosphere and surroundings. Check out my post here.
- Tao – I’ve heard that this is the new go-to place for dumplings. Check out this post about Tao by Genie (of Bunny Eats Design).
- Oh Calcutta – my favourite Indian in Auckland. I recommend their Chicken Tikka Masala, Naan, Mango Lassi and Tandoor Chicken.
- Blue Breeze Inn – love their crispy pork belly bao and cocktails in coconuts
- Amano – Italian flare, serving handmade pasta, breads and pastries etc.
- Cafe Hanoi – another favourite restaurant in Britomart, serving delicious Vietnamese food. Check out my post here.
- Culprit – run by Kyle Street, former chef at Depot and serving yum cha style food. Check out this post about Culprit by Carli (of The Enthusiastic Cook)
- Eight at The Langham – the best buffet in Auckland, featuring eight different food stations. Definitely something for everyone on the menu. Oh and there’s a chocolate fountain! Check out my post here.
- Gerome – the latest newcomer to Parnell’s dining scene, serving beautiful modern Greek food. Check out my blog post here.
- Pasta e Cuore – a colleague has dined here and loved it. Her favourite dishes were the Tagliatelle Bolognese, Spaghetti alla chitarra alla Carbonara and Spaghetti alla chitarra al Gorgonzola. Great service too.
- Oaken – open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, Oaken serves lovely seasonal food, with dishes I wouldn’t normally go for, like Pumpkin Gnocchi!
- Prego – a fine dining Italian restaurant, serving traditional Italian cuisine. Check out this post about Prego by Sophia (of Joy & Serenity).
FOOD TRUCKS / STANDS
- Judge Bao – one of my favourite food stands, serving mouthwatering bao (I love their pork belly bao and also the mapo tofu). Owners Debbie and Jamie are the sweetest too! Check out my post here.
- Wise Boys Burgers – amazing vegan burgers, my favourite being their Kumara and Moroccan Spiced Patty Burger – to die for!
- The Rolling Pin – traditional dumplings, served with a fresh and crunchy Asian salad. I love their Beef Cheek Dumplings.
- Temaki Truck – sushi served in cones, filled with flavours like fresh salmon or tuna. They also serve seriously good karaage chicken.
- Nitro Cow – so stoked to have finally tried Nitro Cow aka gelato made with liquid nitrogen!!! Love their chocolate and coconut combination.
- House of Dumplings – popping up at events all over Auckland, as well as having a permanent spot at La Cigale French Market. My favourite flavours are their Korean Sesame Beef, Nepalese Spiced Lamb and Crystal Prawn.
- The Lucky Taco – my first favourite food truck, serving amazing tacos, plus owners, Sarah and Otis, are so lovely!
- Minty B Ice Creamery – delicious soft serve with EPIC toppings!
- Soul Boul – New Zealand’s first mobile smoothie bowl truck, which has been popping up at events all over Auckland this year, including the Go Green Expo and the Vegan Food Fair.
- Eggloo – egg waffles in cones, filled with ice cream and toppings. My favourites are their Peanut Butter Chocolate and Vanilla with Sprinkles and Marshmallows!
- UberEATS – the newish UberEATS app allows you to order your favourite dishes online from over 70 participating eateries, which will then be delivered straight to your home/office. My favourite eateries include &Sushi, Burger Boy, Best Ugly Bagels and Miann. Check out my post here.
- Pasta Wednesday – my friend Carli over at Pasta Wednesday makes fresh pasta every week, delivered to your home or workplace! The pasta is seriously good and very easy to prepare!
- Auckland Food Tours – a chance to try new dishes and learn about different cultures, all led by an experienced guide. Check out this post and this post about their Chinese food and culture tours by Bri Dimattina.
- Pasta Fresca Workshop at Pasta e Cuore – learn how to make fresh handmade pasta in a two hour workshop. Check out this post about the workshop by Michelle (of The Foodie Inc)
FOOD MARKETS / SHOPPING
- La Cigale French Market – my favourite market in Auckland. I may be biased as it is just around the corner from my house, but it seriously has it all. French macarons, tarts and gateaux, crepes, fresh juices, smoothies, gozleme, smoked salmon, Turkish dips and wraps, paella, dumplings, freshly baked pastries and breads, fresh fruit and vegetables, wonderful cheeses… and loads more. Check out my post here.
- Avondale Market – a wonderful mix of Asian and Polynesian food and culture, held every Sunday. Check out this post about the Avondale Market by Carli (of The Enthusiastic Cook)
- Good For Store – an organic wholefoods refillery, with products like pre-made muesli, lentils, rice, crackers, kombucha, spices and nuts. Check out this post by Laura (of Bitch Peas Blog)
- Clevedon Farmers Market – coming soon!
- Coatesville Farmers Market – coming soon!
- Sabato – my one stop shop for Valrhona chocolate, Italian, French and Spanish products, beautiful cheeses, olives and garlics!
- Farro Fresh – sells all the goods, including The Lucky Taco Kits, Culley’s Hot Sauce, Joshua’s Ice Cream, Garage Project beer, Goodness Kitchen Smoothie Packs, Kohu Road Ice Cream, and amazing cheese and chorizo!
- Milly’s Kitchen Shop – my favourite kitchen shop in Auckland!