Last week, Mexico launched their new Winter Menu… and it is full of new changes!
Their new Winter Menu style includes two new sections – Mucha Carne, literally translating to ‘a lot of meat’ which includes four bigger dishes designed for sharing, including:
- Agave & coffee braised pork ribs, capsicum mojo, habanero chili and agave mole;
- Barbacoa rubbed beef, chimichurri, crispy shallots and pickled vegetables;
- Guajillo chicken, pineapple salsa, candied sesame seeds and coriander; and
- Xocolate braised beef short rib, butternut pumpkin mojo, pink peppercorns and sango.
PLUS, an all-new Sides section, designed to add a little something extra to the table. Your choice of Red Rice, Cos Salad, Broccoli Florets, Crumbed Portobello Mushrooms, Green Beans and Fried Patatas – YUM.
Mexico’s Winter Menu also features three new Frida’s Margaritas flavours – Blueberry & Lavender, Pineapple & Orange and Raspberry & Yuzu. Plus, new beers, wines, sangrias and an updated Tequila menu (with an added Mezcal section), and if you are the sober driver for the night, your choice of three new Sodas.
Between three of us foodies (shout out to Laura and Evo), we ordered quite a feast! For drinks, we ordered three of their cocktails (note these are not a part of the Frida’s Margaritas menu), which were all delicious, flavourful and super refreshing:
- Ruby Paloma with grapefruit, fresh lime, orgeat and Reposado Tequila
- Solerno Margarita with blood-orange liqueur, agave, Mezcal and Reposado Tequila
- Mezcal Spritz with pineapple, lime, Mezcal, fresh mint, topped with sparkling wine
Followed by one ‘Snack’, two ‘Specialties’, one ‘Quesadilla’ and one ‘Mucha Carne’ dish:
- Patatas Bravas with salsa de árbol, green chili jitomate, chipotle mayo and coriander – just check out that salsa!
- Mexico Fried Chicken with jalapeño mayo and chipotle mayo – not to be missed!
- Al Pastor Flatbread Wrap with cinnamon braised pork, green apple yoghurt and coriander – this would be perfect for a filling lunch!
- Slow Cooked Lamb Quesadilla with queso, zucchini, garlic chips, oregano, chilli and salsa borracha – our favourite quesadilla on Mexico’s menu!
- Xocolate Braised Beef Short Rib with butternut pumpkin mojo, pink peppercorns and sango – one of their new bigger dishes which we would highly recommend. The beef fell of the bone… seriously good!
And for sides, these two dishes stood out the most on the new menu, and were the perfect accompaniments to our larger dishes above:
- Broccoli Florets with bacon, red onion, garlic and queso fresco (fresh cheese)
- Fried Patatas with chili salt, queso blanco (white cheese) and crispy sage
Aside from the beautiful food, I love dining at Mexico because I love being surrounded by the decor! Think colourful walls covered in memorabilia from Mexico, including artworks of Frida Kahlo and influences from Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead), plus loads of cacti. It is definitely one of the most fun restaurants to visit in Auckland!
If you are not able to get to Mexico in Britomart, there are five other locations in Auckland – Ponsonby, Ellerslie, Takapuna, Auckland International Airport and Sylvia Park. Plus, there are restaurants in Hamilton, Wellington, Petone, Christchurch and more recently, Bayfair in Tauranga!
I was sent a voucher to dine at Mexico, however all opinions are (and always will be) my own.