Following on from my Gluten Free Lemon Meringue Pie, over the long weekend I decided to make something similar – introducing my Kiwi Lime Meringue Pie!
This is my version of the American classic Key Lime Pie. Since we don’t have Key Limes in New Zealand, I have used some homegrown Matakana limes. If you are a citrus lover, then you will love this pie!
The pie has a sweet biscuit base, topped with a tart lime filling, and finished with toasted meringue and lime zest.
Kiwi Lime Meringue Pie
For the Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups malt or graham-cracker crumbs, broken into pieces
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons sugar
For the Filling:
- 1 tin (400g) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (about 4 large limes)
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest, plus more for garnish (about 4 large limes)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (I used Heilala)
- 4 large egg yolks
For the Meringue Topping:
- 4 large egg whites
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
What You Need:
- Pie Dish or Tin
- Either a food processor or a large snaplock bag and rolling pin
- Greaseproof Paper
- Small Pot and Whisk
- Your favourite Mixer (I love KitchenAid) or Beaters and Large Bowl
- Piping Bags (if you want to pipe the meringue)
1) For the Crust: Preheat oven to 190°C fan bake and grease your favourite pie dish.
2) Combine graham-crackers, butter and sugar in a food processor and whizz until a crumble. Press into your pie dish and bake in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to completely cool.
3) For the Filling: Lower the oven heat to 150°C. In a medium bowl, whisk together condensed milk, egg yolks, lime juice and lime zest. Pour this into the cooled crust and bake for 30 minutes. Cool pie to room temperature.
4) For the Meringue: Add egg whites into a medium mixing bowl. Whisk until they form stiff peaks. Add in the caster sugar, a spoonful at a time, whisking well and at a high speed between each addition, until the mixture is glossy and firm. Transfer the meringue into a piping bag and pipe the meringue on top of the pie.
5) Bake pie for around 10 minutes at 200°C until lightly browned – keep a close eye on it!
6) Sprinkle pie with freshly grated lime zest. Serve and enjoy!